Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentines. I Wrote You a Poem.

I had to write a Spencerian sonnet last night. I don't know how much you know about sonnets, much less Spencerian ones, but let this suffice: They're really, really, really hard to write. They're supposed to use iambic pentameter (and hexameter) and rhyme all over the place.

I can't rhyme. Can't. So, like the sport I am, I whined about it for a few hours. Then I sat my roommate down and informed her we were writing a poem.

This is what we came up with:

I once fell down the stairs and hit my head
            And then my dog became a giant rat.
            My heart grew cold in one moment of dread
            Behind, I heard my cat yell out “Oh drat!”
And from my bag I pulled a wooden bat,
            With which I knew I could defend my Sam
            (And Sam, of course, he was my noble cat).
            I stood and faced the beast and shouted, “Scram!”
The rat, he swelled, he grew big as a tram.
As I thought of my ancestors of lore,
 I knew this was a test, or an exam,
            A quest to test the greatness of my core.
And as I stood and thought I knew that I was doomed,
            So quickly I ditched Sam, and off away I zoomed.

We wrote it at eleven last night, at which point the entire thing was hysterical.

I felt even better about when I wrote my short analysis that ended thusly:

The theme of the poem is the discovery of one's flaws, in this case, cowardice. Even in his dream, the narrator is unable to face his fears or defend the things he cares about. 

Here's hoping my professor has a sense of humor. And no particular commitment to poetic aesthetic.

Happy Valentines.

(http://www.hangupurban.com/valentines-specials)

No comments:

Post a Comment